Wednesday 2 May 2007

Stockholm

Stockholm is really pretty, I hadn't realised that the city is made up of a series of islands.
On Saturday I arrived at Skanska airport that is about an hour and a half out of Stockholm, we passed through pretty farm land and forests on the way. I booked accommodation through a "rent-a-room" agency, it is with a retired woman in quite a good location, quite cheap and interesting decor.

I went to the Vasa museum which is a museum that contains a ship that sunk on its maiden voyage in 1628, and was raised from the sea bed in 1961 and then went through extensive renovations, it was largely intact providing a facinating look at a ship from that time. The museum has a film about the discovery, raising and renovation of the ship, and the personal belongings that they found. The museum as well as having the ship has information and displays on life at that time some skeletons that were found on board and about what they have been able to deduce from the personal belongs and bones on the person's life and position. I then walked along the edge of the water to the old city on the island of Gamla Stan. I went to one of the oldest konditorei (cafe) in Stockholm and had coffee and a "Sarah Bernherdt" a great combination of macaroon, chocolate granache and chocolate. I then did as you have to in Sweden and had meat balls for dinner.

Sunday was beautiful so I went to the Modern Art museum in the morning and then caught a ferry to Vaxholm which is a small island in the archipelago about an hour from Stockholm.

On Monday it was raining so went and had a look around the shops, lots of funky stuff, not cheap though. As you can see from the food hall picture you can buy elk and reindeer meat. Quite a few of the underground stations have art in them.

I took quite a few photos, there are a few here and quite a lot more on Flicka, click on the link on the right to "My Photos".

No comments: